Structured Activities this week
These activities will need an adult to either work with the children or check their work afterwards so that they get the most from their learning.
Activities can be spread out across the day to suit your circumstances
English: please do the following each day
Reading (approx. 20 minutes)
- Your child should continue reading their normal school books and they have brought additional books home. Encourage them to complete the reading challenge diary and book activities as normal.
- In your child’s activity pack, there are also comprehension tasks which you may wish to use.
Writing (approx. 45- 60 minutes)
- Please complete one of the creative-writing tasks from the activity pack sent home, each day. If your child needs more space to write or set out their answers, they can use the exercise book sent home with their learning pack.
- Your child may also work on some of the grammar and punctuation activities included in their pack.
- Your child may do a piece of descriptive writing instead of one of the set tasks using the image of the day on the Pobble 365 website.
- If possible, practice the Year 5 and 6 spelling words that are in your pack.
Maths: please do the following each day
Maths Activities (approx. 40 mins)
- Please work through one activity per day with your child (these are ordered progressively). Read and talk through the beginning part of the activity so that they understand the concept.
- Children can then attempt the worksheets either independently or with your support. We expect that all children can do the first few questions, but they do get harder and not everyone will complete all questions - this is ok.
- If your child needs more space to write or set out their answers, they can use the exercise book also sent home with their learning pack.
Times Tables Rock Stars (10-15 mins)
- Please log on to the website once a day to keep on top of times tables practice.
The following tasks should also be completed during the week: (one per day)
RE – 2 sessions (approx. 40 minutes each)
- What can you find out about St Jerome? Why is he important this year? Create a fact file or mini booklet about St Jerome.
- Can you research the ‘Stations of the cross?’ Can you create artwork and a description for each station?
- Our topic is about memories. Create a poster about your most important memories.
Science (Properties and Changes of Materials) – 2 sessions (approx. 40 minutes each)
- Complete the Materials and Properties activity in your pack.
- Complete the Chemical Creations activity in your pack.
History – 1 session (approx. 45 minutes) Choose one of the following tasks to complete:
- Research in greater depth one of the key events of WW2 that we have been learning about in school (Battle of Britain, Dunkirk, Pearl Harbour etc.) Present your findings however you wish.
- Design a WW2 propaganda poster. Think about Dig for Victory, evacuation, food rationing etc.
- Carry out some research about Winston Churchill. What was his role in the war effort? What is he famous for?
- Explore the story of Lisa Jura who came to London on the Kindertransport in 1938 with extract from the novel 'Children of Willesdon Lane', interviews with Lisa’s daughter Mona, and background information about Jewish life and the political events leading up to the war. Log into Discovery Education -you can access the unit through either the KS2 English or History menus, or click on the picture to go straight there. Present your findings however you wish.
In the event that children are finishing set work, more will be accessible on google classroom. The children have been shown how to access this.
Username: first name, first letter of their surname @stpetersleatherhead.co.uk
Password: class name, first name
e.g. hawthornjohn (sometimes will have the first initial of surname too e.g. hawthornjohns
Classroom: Hawthorn Home Learning 2020
You should schedule some time each day for your child to work independently from you. Below are some activities that children can complete without (or with minimal) adult support or supervision.
Discovery Education Mini Projects :
https://www.discoveryeducation.co.uk Explore any of the resources in the KS2 section. What are you interested in? It could be linked to your topic, something you covered in another year and want to revisit, the news, or any other area of interest.
Research your chosen area and present what you have been learning about in a mini project. You can produce anything you like based on what you know and have found out – be as creative as you like. You could:
- make a model,
- create a PowerPoint presentation,
- make a fact file,
- create an information poster,
- create a piece of art
- write a story,
- make your own quiz or puzzle
- a song or rap,
- bake something
- make up a drama script,
- create your own word treasure hunt,
- make fact file flash cards
or think of another way yourself!
Purple Mash – Your child was issued with their details for this website last week. Once they login (at the website below) they will be able to access a range of computing, maths, grammar, science, art and topic related activities. Should the period of time out of school extend, we will also set work under the ‘2do’ tab. If your child is unable to login, please let their class teacher know as soon as possible. https://www.purplemash.com/sch/stpeterskt22
Discovery Education (Espresso) – The login details for this website are detailed below. Once they login (at the website below) your child will be able to click on the KS2 tab and explore a range of topics. The science and history tabs are particularly interesting. Username: Student28854 Password: password https://central.espresso.co.uk/espresso/primary_uk/home/index.html
Times Tables Rock Stars – Your child is familiar with their login details for this website as they have been using it weekly as part of their homework. Children should continue to use this resource during this time. The school postcode is KT227JN.
Poggle 353 – A picture of the day is generated and can be used for creative tasks.