Art & Design
At St Peter's, our intention is to provide an Art Curriculum which allows children to explore their imagination, generate ideas, acquire skills, apply judgements and be inspired by the work of different artists. We follow the National Curriculum for Art. The programmes of study for Key Stage One and Two can be found here.
Our Art Curriculum is strongly linked with class topics and throughout the curriculum children will be given opportunities:
- To develop knowledge, understanding and skills.
- To learn about materials and techniques used by artists.
- To learn about the world of art, craft and design.
- To recognise achievement of artists, designers and craftspeople, from many different times and cultures.
We aim to raise the standards of the pupils’ abilities in specific art and craft skills such as:
- Use of sketchbooks within KS2
We aim to increase the opportunities for the children to experience:
- Art from different cultures
- Using different materials and techniques
- Art within our community
Our Design Technology Curriculum is designed to empower children so that they become responsible for their own learning through:
- Enjoying their learning
- Having a go
- Developing their concentration
- Fostering a 'Don’t Give Up' attitude
- Co-operating with others
- Using their imagination
- Being curious
- Evaluating, comparing and improving their work.
We follow the National Curriculum for Design & Technology. The programmes of study for Key Stage One and Two can be found here. The curriculum is planned to be cross curricular, linking with RE, English, History, Geography, Maths and Science. Topics are taught through several strands:
- Developing, planning and communicating ideas.
- Working with tools, equipment, materials and components to make quality products (including food).
- Evaluating processes and products.
Ideas are developed by using first hand observations, brainstorming and collaboration.
Children are encouraged to question, evaluate and identify criteria that can be used for their own designs. As they progress they are responsible for planning the order of their work, choosing appropriate materials, tools and techniques.
Children use various processes to construct their designs: measuring and weighing, marking, cutting, shaping, joining, sewing.
Children evaluate their products against their original designs and identify strengths and areas to how they can improve their ideas for the future.
Our Music curriculum is designed to help children to gain a firm understanding of what music is, through listening, singing, playing, evaluating and composing across a wide variety of forms, cultures and traditions.
We encourage children to express themselves musically with many extra-curricular opportunities to perform in front of their peers, families, and in the wider community. We want children to think of music as something that can be enjoying, stimulating, relaxing, or challenging, and promote the idea of listening to music for pleasure.
We follow the National Curriculum for Music. The programmes of study for Key Stage One and Two can be found here
At St Peter's, we are proud of the extra music opportunities we can offer to our children.
- We have a strong choir tradition with both KS1 and KS2 sections, who perform regularly both in school and in our wider community as well as taking part in competitions.
- We partner with Surrey Arts to offer individual piano tuition and individual or group cello tuition.
- We have a visiting trumpet teacher who takes individual and small group lessons for children.
- The 'Rock and Pop Foundation' and 'Rocksteady' music schools offer both a variety of music lessons and the opportunity to play in a band.