- St Peter's Virtual School»
- Children's Virtual School»
- Learning at Home»
- Now>Press>Play audio experience»
Now>Press>Play audio experience
VE Day - Now>Press>Play
We are very fortunate to have access to this ‘Now Press Play’ resource. This recording allows the listener to experience what life would have been like for a child in WW2!
Now Press Play requires the listener to move around and ‘act-out’ parts of the story. It is a good idea to do this in a larger room if possible. You will need to label four points in the room as North, East, South and West. For a more immersive experience, listen to the recording through headphones.
During the experience the children will…
- Hear that the country is at war
- Be evacuated by train to the countryside
- Dig for Victory
- Be sent home to London
- Hear an air raid siren and have to shelter from bombs
- Clear a bombed-out street
- Hear that the war is over
- Celebrate at a VE Day street party
This resource is recommended for KS2 children as it contains loud, sudden noises (such as the air raid siren and bombs). If you are considering sharing with your KS1 child, please listen through the recording yourself first.
Once you’ve listened to the experience, you could think about the following:
- Were there any words you didn’t know the meaning to? Could you find out what each of these mean?
- What do you think was the best part of the experience? Which bit do you think would have been hardest for a WW2 child to go through?
- How did it feel to find out we were at war? How did it feel to find out the war had ended?
- What do you think you would have packed in your suitcase? Which things were most important?
- What do you imagine the street party would have been like? How would this compare to a party today?
Share your pictures with Now>Press>Play
The Now>Press>Play team have asked if we would be happy to share any pictures, reflections or work that the children complete after taking part in their WW2 audio experience with them.
They may use these pictures in their promotional materials and / or teacher resources to show other schools how the audio experiences can be used at home. No children's names will be used.
If you are happy to share any pictures of your child and/or their work with them for this purpose, please email Mrs McDonnell firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title Now>Press>Play.