Travelling to and from St Peter’s School
The roads around our school are very busy and parking is extremely limited. We encourage parents and children to minimise car use wherever possible by walking, scooting or cycling to school.
Travelling by Car
The school car park is for the use of staff, blue badge holders and authorised groups ONLY. Parking, or waiting, on any part of the school access road limits the access for emergency vehicles and for the safety of our entire school community is not allowed.
If you need to travel to school by car we ask that:
- You consider car sharing arrangements with other parents wherever possible
- You do not park on school zig-zag markings or double yellow lines
- You do not obstruct neighbouring houses driveways or exits
Walking and the Walking Bus
St Peter’s can be easily reached by the pedestrianised part of Linden Pit Path which joins Ashtead and Leatherhead and is an easy 10-20 minute walk from most parts of Ashtead and Leatherhead.
With the support of parent volunteers we run a walking bus (a supervised walk to school) each morning from the Church of Our Lady & St Peter in Leatherhead. We have a number of ‘Drop & Go’ spaces for children on the walking bus each day. This means that parents can park at the car park, register the children with the walking bus helpers (from 8.25am only - children cannot be left with the helpers before this time) and head off to work avoiding the parking crush at school.
How to use the walking bus:
- All children MUST be registered before they can use the walking bus. Registration takes a few moments and can be done online: https://goo.gl/forms/z2E9Q93JlXKDtBab2?fbclid=IwAR2X3HInx3KecvOFRImGU9HF0uLBDNRPIDZPO7sBZALte61SGqJ1q4Og0I8
- Join the Walking Bus (Leatherhead) group through the school’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/275043576724019/?source_id=287936444955553 This is how you can see the spaces available for each day and book your child onto the bus.
- Request a space: Each week the rota for the week ahead will be published in the Walking bus Facebook group. If there are spaces then these can be requested by parents on a first come, first served basis - please ensure that you check to see if your booking request was successful.
- The more helpers that we have – the more spaces we can offer. All parents that volunteer to walk with the bus for at least one day per week will have priority when booking ‘Drop&Go’ spaces for their own children on other days.
If you have any questions or feedback about the walking bus project, or would be interested in volunteering to help, please contact Mrs McDonnell at school: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scooting & Cycling to School
We provide shelters for bikes and scooters at school for children and adults that wish to use them. We are also happy for children to keep their cycle helmets (named please) with their school bags in the cloakrooms. There are regular opportunities for children to take part in scooter and cycling training, which is subsided by school.
If you or your child are scooting or cycling to school we ask that:
- You ride sensibly and safely and to follow the Highway Code
- You wear a cycle helmet
- You check that any bicycle or scooter is roadworthy and regularly maintained
- You behave in an appropriate manner and consider the needs of others when cycling or scooting
- You ensure that you be seen by other road users, by using lights and wearing high-visibility clothing, as appropriate.
Please note that:
- The decision as to whether a child is competent to cycle, scoot or walk safely to and from school rests with the parent(s)/carer(s). The school has no liability for any consequences of that decision
- Parents are advised to consider appropriate insurance cover (check home insurance) as the school is not liable for, and its insurance does not cover, any loss or damage to bicycles and scooters being used on the way to or from school or at school.