- St Peter's Virtual School»
- Parents' Virtual School»
- What to expect from your child?»
- What to expect - Year R»
What to expect - Year R
YR Home Learning
Approximate Directed Activity Time - 45 minutes - 1 hour
Activities can be spread out across the day to suit your circumstances
Ideally, every day we would like children to do the following:
Read to an adult for 5-10 minutes
Practice phonics and writing with an adult for 10 -15 minutes
Practice counting for about 5-10 minutes
Spend around 10 minutes completing a maths task
and across the week
complete 1 or 2 topic themed activities (Science, RE, Art etc.)
Activities can be spread out across the day to suit your circumstances.
Completing Structured Activities
These activities will need an adult to work with the children so that they get the most from their learning. Activities can be spread out across the day to suit your circumstances.
English: please do the following each day
Reading (5-10 minutes).
- Ask an adult to read either your child’s phonics bugs book or other library or story books with your child.
- Please focus on not only their ability to read some of the words and sentences, but their understanding - when talking with others - about what they have read - perhaps ask them questions such as... what happened at the beginning, middle and end of the story? What does this word mean on this page? Can you think of another word that means the same? How does the character feel on this page - why?
Phonics and Writing (10- 15 minutes)
- Please practise your child's quick recall of sounds and tricky words from the mats provided, as well as encourage them to use these to write words and simple sentences - perhaps create a shopping list together or write diary entries about their time at home and encourage them to re-read these.
- For some children one really good sentence is enough, some will be able and keen to write more.
- Go with your child’s level of confidence and ability - this should be a fun activity.
Maths: please do the following each day
Counting practice (5mins)
- Practice saying the number names in order to and from 20. Count together and ask the children to join in with you. Watch out for the teen’s numbers, especially eleven, twelve and thirteen which do not follow the normal pattern.
Number Skills (10mins)
- Each week, the teachers will upload a Maths task for the children to do each day.
- There may also be additional tasks to complete during the week.
- Teachers may also give suggestions for children's independent learning. These are optional and for advice or inspiration only.
Please continue to upload examples of your children’s wonderful work onto Tapestry, we would love to see them.
You should schedule some time each day for your child to work independently from you. Below are some activities that children can complete without (or with minimal) adult support or supervision.
Your child will have been sent home with a home learning pack, which contains an activity pack. The activities in the pack are designed to practice key skills and be completed with minimal adult support. You can choose with your child which to do.
If you would like to limit screen time you could encourage your child to:
- Start a scrapbook, write and draw about their favourite character, person, animal etc.
- Write messages or make cards for family and friends
- Play (outside-if they can), the children particular enjoy the following in school:
- Creating worlds and dens with building blocks and animals etc.
- Making ‘junk’ models - use up that recycling collection
Discovery Education. https://www.discoveryeducation.co.uk/
Children can freely explore the resources in the Foundation section. There are activities for all areas of the curriculum with videos to watch and activities to play including Phonics and Maths resources. It is a closed site and safe for children to use independently.
Phonics Play https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
A great site to continue reading words and applying sounds. You can access many games for free.
Other ideas and resources for things to support home learning or do together
English- to support reading and writing skills: https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
Maths - to support maths skills: https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/numberblocks
PE - to support physical development skills: https://www.jumpstartjonny.co.uk/home